A beginner to intermediate level qualification exploring wines and spirits for those working in the industry or wine and spirit enthusiasts.
For individuals seeking a core understanding of wines, this qualification explores the major grape varieties and important wine regions in which they are grown. You’ll learn about the styles of wines produced from these grapes as well as key classifications and labelling terminology. A basic overview of the key categories of spirits and liqueurs will also be provided. Upon successful completion you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin, and will be able to use the associated WSET certified logo.
What you’ll learn:
• How to taste and describe wine using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine®(SAT)
• How environmental factors, grape-growing, winemaking and maturation options influence the style and quality of wines made from eight principal grape varieties:
– Pinot Grigio/Gris
– Sauvignon Blanc
– Cabernet Sauvignon
– Pinot Noir
• The style and quality of wines:
– made from 22 regionally important grape varieties
– produced in over 70 geographical indications (GIs) around the world
• How grape varieties and winemaking processes influence key styles of:
– Sparkling wines
– Fortified wines
• Key labelling terms used to indicate origin, style and quality
• Principles and processes involved in the storage and service of wine
• Principles of food and wine pairing
• How to describe wine using the: WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT)
Assessment is by a closed-book exam of 50 multiple-choice questions.
On successful completion of the examination you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin, and will be able to use the associated WSET certified logo.
WSET Level 1 Award in Wines is recommended although there are no entry requirements for this qualification.. You must be of legal drinking age in the country where you are attending the course to participate in any alcohol tasting. However, this is not a barrier to successfully completing the qualification.
Specification (click here to download)
Level 2 Wines SAT English 2014 (click here to download)