This confidence-boosting spirits course for beginners is the perfect way to gain knowledge of the key styles of distilled beverage found around the world. In a short space of time, you’ll find yourself feeling more confident navigating a drinks list, stocking up your bar, and serving spirits optimally.
What will I learn?
The course will cover:
- The basic principles of spirit production
- The main types and styles of spirits
- Factors affecting the flavour of spirits
- Tutored tastings of 10 spirits (classroom courses only)
- How to serve spirits
- How to describe spirits using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Spirits® (SAT)
By the end of the course you’ll be able to taste and describe spirits using a globally recognised approach, identify important styles of spirits and know the raw materials and production methods that define them.
Click here to download the full qualification specification.
The Level 1 Award in Spirits exam consists of 30 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 45 minutes. To pass you must correctly answer 70% of the questions. Successful students will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin. All examinations must be sat in person at WSET School London (including students who are studying online).
This qualification is Ofqual regulated.
Do I need any prior knowledge?
No prior spirits knowledge is required, just enthusiasm! All our classes are delivered in English therefore a good level of English is beneficial.
You must be at least 18 years old to enrol on any of our courses.
How should I prepare?
There is no need to prepare anything before starting your Level 1 Award in Spirits course. However anyone embarking on a WSET qualification should familiarise themselves with the qualification specification – this document will help you understand what to expect and what you will get out of the course.
Course fees include:
- WSET Level 1 Award in Spirits study pack
- Candidates will try a minimum of nine samples during the course of their studies. All samples are benchmark expressions of their category and style.
- Coffee and lunch break
- VAT 5% +19%
- Upon successful completion, a WSET certificate and lapel pin