This course is an ideal starting point for wine enthusiasts wanting to get to grips with the basics, or those embarking on a career in wine or hospitality. In a short space of time, you’ll find yourself feeling much more confident tasting wine, navigating a wine list, buying bottles and pairing wine with food.
What will I learn?
The course will cover:
- The main types and styles of wine
- Common wine grapes and their characteristics
- How to make food and wine pairings
- Tutored tasting of 8 wines (except online courses)
- How to store and serve wine
- How to describe wine using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT)
By the end of the course you’ll be able to taste wine using a globally recognised approach, identify key styles of wine and characteristics of important grape varieties. You’ll also learn the key principles of food and wine pairing and how to apply these to your own food and wine choices.
Click here to download the full qualification specification.
The Level 1 Award in Wines examination consists of 30 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 45 minutes. To pass you must correctly answer 70% of the questions. Successful students will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin.
This qualification is Ofqual regulated.
Do I need any prior knowledge?
No prior wine knowledge is required, just enthusiasm! All our classes are delivered in English therefore a good level of English is beneficial.
You must be at least 18 years old to enrol on any of our courses.
How should I prepare?
There is no need to prepare anything before starting your Level 1 Award in Wines course. However anyone embarking on a WSET qualification should familiarise themselves with the qualification specification – this document will help you understand what to expect and what you will get out of the course.
Course fees include:
- WSET Level 1 workbook
- Wine samples consisting of 8 wines from top wine producers, typical of their varieties will be tasted during the course.
- Coffee and lunch break
- VAT 5% +19%
- Upon successful completion, a WSET certificate and lapel pin