The WSET Level 2 Award in Spirits covers the main categories of spirits and liqueurs and examines the influences of production methods on the different styles available in each category. Throughout the course, you’ll develop analytical tasting skills while exploring the use of spirits in cocktails.
The knowledge gained on this course will be a significant advantage to anyone working with spirits in both the on- and off-trade, and the course is also perfect for spirits enthusiasts wanting to learn more about the product behind the brand.
What will I learn?
The course will cover:
- Spirits production methods and how they affect style and quality
- The characteristics of the main styles of spirits and liqueurs
- The major global spirits brands
- Tutored tastings of around 40 spirits and liqueurs (classroom courses only)
- How to taste and describe spirits using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Spirits® (SAT)
Throughout the course you’ll become a more confident spirits taster under the guidance of our expert educators, learning how to use a globally-recognised approach to tasting to analyse the appearance, nose, palate and quality level of a range of styles.
By the end of the course you’ll be able to identify a how key raw ingredients and production methods influence the style and quality of the key spirits and liqueurs of the world. If you work with spirits, you’ll be able to confidently provide guidance on the use and service of spirits and make informed recommendations to customers when selecting spirits and liqueurs to meet their taste and price requirements.
Click here to download the full qualification specification.
The Level 2 Award in Spirits examination consists of 50 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 60 minutes/one hour.
- Pass: 55% – 69%
- Pass with Merit: 70% – 84%
- Pass with Distinction: 85% and above
All students who pass the examination will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin.
This qualification is Ofqual regulated.
Do I need any prior knowledge?
WSET Level 2 in Spirits is addressed to Level 1 in Spirits graduates.
All our classes are delivered in English, therefore, a good level of English is beneficial.
You must be at least 18 years old to enrol on any of our courses.
How should I prepare?
This course requires you to undertake a recommended total of 11 hours of private study time. Those choosing the consecutive (intensive) study option are strongly recommended to complete most of the recommended private study hours before starting the course.
The only necessary study material for this course is the Level 2 Award in Spirits study pack, which will be sent to you on booking.
Course fees include:
- WSET Level 2 Award in Spirits study pack
- Candidates will try a minimum of 30 samples during the course of their studies. All samples are benchmark expressions of their category and style.
- Coffee and lunch break
- VAT 5% +19%
- Upon successful completion, a WSET certificate and lapel pin