The WSET Level 2 Award in Wines is the perfect wine course for those wishing to learn about a wide range of grape varieties and wines of the world. It is addressed to Level 1 graduates. Upon completion, you’ll gain enviable knowledge of the principal and regionally important grape varieties of the world, the regions in which they are grown, and the styles of wine they produce.
This qualification has a minimum requirement of 28 hours of study time, including:
- 16 hours of guided learning (in the classroom or online)
- 11 hours of personal study and revision
- A one-hour examination
What will I learn?
The course covers:
- How to taste and describe wine using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine®(SAT)
- How environmental factors, grape-growing, winemaking and maturation options influence the style and quality of wines made from eight principal grape varieties:
- Pinot Grigio/Gris
- Sauvignon Blanc
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Pinot Noir
- The style and quality of wines:
- made from 22 regionally important grape varieties (e.g. Nebbiolo, Malbec and Viognier)
- produced in over 70 geographical indications (GIs) around the world
- How grape varieties and winemaking processes influence key styles of:
- Sparkling wines
- Fortified wines
- Key labelling terms used to indicate origin, style and quality
- Principles and processes involved in the storage and service of wine
- Principles of food and wine pairing
On successful completion you will be a more confident wine taster, able to describe and compare the styles of wines produced from internationally and regionally important grape varieties. You’ll know how to interpret wine labels from the main wine producing regions of the world, and how to store, serve, taste and pair wines to get the best out of every glass.
Click here to download the full qualification specification.
The Level 2 Award in Wines examination consists of 50 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 60 minutes/one hour.
- Pass: 55% – 69%
- Pass with Merit: 70% – 84%
- Pass with Distinction: 85% and above
All students who pass the examination will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin.
This qualification is Ofqual regulated.
Do I need any prior knowledge?
WSET Level 2 is addressed to Level 1 graduates.
All our classes are delivered in English, therefore, a good level of English is beneficial.
You must be at least 18 years old to enrol on any of our courses.
How should I prepare?
This qualification combines guided and private study. It requires you to undertake a recommended minimum of 11 hours of private study time in addition to your guided learning hours.
Depending on your chosen study option, you may be able to complete these hours between your classes. Those choosing the consecutive (intensive) option are strongly recommended to complete most of the recommended private study hours before starting the course.
The only necessary study material for this course is the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines study pack, which will be sent to you on booking.
Course fees include:
- WSET Level 2 study pack
- Wine samples consisting of 45 wines from top wine producers, typical of their varieties will be tasted during the course.
- Coffee and lunch break
- VAT 5% +19%
- Upon successful completion, a WSET certificate and lapel pin